8 Steps in Writing a Training Gap Analysis
Training needs or also well known as training gap analysis refers to a systematic approach to determine what training needs to take place. This kind of analysis considers business’ needs, effectiveness, cost, training methods, and current competencies. Let’s discuss it further.
How to Make a Training Gap Analysis
Training needs analysis will ensure that the training targets the correct competencies & employees and also addresses a business’ need. You have to conduct this analysis rightly. There are 8 steps that you need to follow in making this kind is analysis. Just see the following step by step below.
The first step is to determine your desired outcomes. Here, you have to clarify the training goal & expected business outcome. Besides, the training goal must correspond to the business objective. The example of training goal is to improve the satisfaction ratings of customer service.
The second step is to link desired outcomes to employee’s behavior. In this step, you need to identify the competencies linked to the desired outcomes. Competencies may relate to knowledge, qualities, skills, and behaviors. Here, you must collect data & information as complete as possible.
The third step is to identify the trainable competencies. In this step, you will need to evaluate critical competencies. You also need to list the critical competencies either elements in hiring practices or competencies which are amendable to training. It is fundamental in training gap analysis report.
The forth step is to evaluate competencies & determine the performance gaps. To evaluate the current competency level, you can use customer feedback, interviews, self-assessments, surveys, tests, and performance evaluations. You are allowed to use one or some of them that you want.
The fifth step is to prioritize the training needs. Here, you should identify the percentage of employees that need training on the competencies. Besides, you also must consider the importance of competencies to the objectives of business. They will let you identify the training priorities.
The sixth step is to determine how to perform training. Here, you need to consider adult learning theory & best practices in the training on particular competencies. The training methods include academic programs, conferences, books, e-learning, lecture, mentoring & coaching and OJT.
The seventh step is to conduct cost benefit analysis. Here, you must consider costs which are associated to training methods, the impact on the business and the extent to which training will address performance gap. Cost factors include content development time, training time, etc.
The last step is to plan for training evaluation. It is very critical because training is effective if only the information is retained & applied on the job. Here, you may need to consider how much the training improved the competencies, how the training improved the job performance of the employee, etc.
That is all how to make a training gap analysis. Now, it is time for you to write this kind of analysis for your business. Hopefully this guideline will be a useful reference to anyone especially a business owner who needs to perform this analysis.
- 5+ Training Needs Analysis Sample
- 10+ Sample Needs Analysis
- 10+ Needs Analysis Template Sample
- Sample Skills Gap Analysis
- 5+ Sample Organizational Analysis
- 5+ Failure Analysis Sample Template
- 10+ Sample Free Gap Analysis Template
- 3+ Gap Analysis Spreadsheet Sample
- 4+ Sample Gap Analysis Report
- 10+ Cost Benefit Analysis Templates Sample
- 2+ SWOT Analysis Chart Sample Template
- 3+ Product Cost Analysis Templates Samples
- 5+ Sample Customer Profitability Analysis
- 2+ Sample Target Market Analysis
- 10+ SWOT Analysis Sample Templates
- 5+ Sample Employee SWOT Analysis
- 4+ Simple Cost Benefit Analysis Templates Sample
- Company Analysis Report Template Sample
- 2+ Free Freight Cost Analysis Sample Templates
- Brand Audit Report Templates Samples
- 5+ Cost Benefit Analysis Template Sample
- 5+ SWOT Analysis Sample Template
- 5+ Forced Field Analysis Templates Sample
- 10+ Sample Break Even Analysis Template Examples